Sunday, December 6, 2009

Discussion Director Ch. 12-End

Some questions to lead our discussion of the final chapters of My Brother Sam is Dead.

1. Tim does not know the details of his father's death, or even where is body is. How would you feel if you were left in the dark about these facts?

2. Betsy states that she doesn't care who wins the war, she just wants it to end. Despite having strong feelings about the fight initially, do you think you would react the same as Betsy?

3. Do you think Tim resents Sam and the war for hlding him back from getting his education?

4. Sam is accused of stealing his own family's cattle. Do you think this action would be true to his character traits?

5. How do you think Tim felt while he was waiting to talk to General Putnam?

6. how did you feel when Mother let Tim run out and try to save Sam? Did you agree with her surrender?

7. How did you react to the book's ending? Do you think it was a good ending? Would you change anything?

1 comment:

  1. 1. I don't think I could cope with my life if I didn't know any information about the death of my father. I couldn't even fathom the idea.

    2. I think I would react the same as Betsy. At first I would be very stern on my beliefs, but after all of the effects of the war, I would want it to be over.

    3. I don't think Tim resents Sam. I think he was upset with him being able to live his life the way he wanted and just "left" Tim at home to help with the tavern. I just think Tim was hoping to start his own life.

    4. I think Sam needed to follow his commands of the army.

    5. I think Tim felt anxious while waiting to talk to General Putnam.

    6. I agree with Mother's surrender. Even though she sent out Tim, she wanted him to try and do something to help out Sam. Yet, if she knew she might lose one son, why risk Tim?

    7. I enjoyed the book's ending. Especially the information about Tim's life postwar. I think the authors did an excellent job with the research and accurate information while writing this book.

    ReplyDelete